Thursday, December 9, 2010

0
comments
Rough-legged Hawk Returns

A Rough-legged Hawk has returned to the landfill. Just took these pics about 30 minutes ago. There was one here back on February 17th of this year. I found it in the same spot as the one that was here in February and the Red-tails quickly took note of it and started harassing the bird, which they did in February as well. They were dive bombing the Rough-legged and twice the birds interlocked talons. It was quite a sight.

Rough-legged Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk

Update: So I saw the bird again this evening around 4:30. Initially he buzzed by the truck at eye level about 10 feet away. He caught my attention and I followed him to the side of one of the units. I watched as he worked the field and hovered looking for mice. At one point he landed on the top of a unit and gave me an annoyed look. I let him be after he flew, but as I was driving to the parking lot I spotted him again, down on the ground beside the road. He was letting me approach pretty close and seemed to tolerate my presence well. Hopefully he will be around tomorrow, I will update if I see him again.

Rough-legged Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More