Tuesday, January 5, 2010

0
comments
dePaul School: Day 3

Round three at starts now!

Q: When did you first get interested in birds? What made you interested in them?

A: I first became interested in birds while in college. One of my first biology classes was a survey of the diversity of animals and for some reason while learning about birds I became very interested in them. At the time I was unaware of just how many different types of birds there were in Kentucky, and when I began to see all the interesting birds at my bird feeder and in the woods, I became hooked. There are 364 species and I made it my mission to learn to identify and see them all.

Q: How many birds did you see over the winter break? Were there any new birds?

A: During the winter months there are a variety of neat birds that come to Kentucky, most of them are ducks. But there also are some interesting sparrows and hawks. At the landfill we have been seeing a lot of Ring-billed and Herring Gulls, a couple Northern Harriers, and several White-throated Sparrows. There have not been any ducks because most of the ponds have been frozen for over a week. There has been one Pied-billed Grebe that has managed to keep an open spot on a frozen pond. With temperatures dipping into single digits this week I hope he doesn't get frozen to the pond!

White-throated Sparrow

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More